Saturday, October 22, 2011

Recently I wrote an ---Artist Statement!!--- for an exhibition. This was not a fun project. It just feels awkward to explain visual art with clumsy words. Simon and Garfunkel sang, "and all my words come back to me in shades of mediocrity." That said, I think that now I will write some "artist statement" type words.

"Whats it all about, Alfie?" What IS it all about, this obsessive making of images? It is about spending my time with color. It is about interacting with the world. Art is a way of exploring this individual human on earth experience. About this particular self, exploring reality in a deep manner. About experiencing all the riches of perception. Processing these riches in my poor befuddled brain. Hallucinating pictures. And then creating unique visual communications.

We are all in this together. Here we are, lots of us humans. Bumping into each other at Wally World. Fighting over beads at Mardi Gras parades. Scrappling with the office bitches. Eating and sleeping and loving and searching for comfort. We are alike and different. Alike in that we all want comfort, want joy, and want the best for our children. We perceive each other, we talk, we produce memos.

We are all in this together, but our minds are separate.

What I intended to say, what I said, what you heard, and how you interpreted it are four different things.

Each of our interpretations of our separate perceptions is individual, is different. A meeting of the minds, that is what we say when we agree with each other. But even when we agree there are subtleties of difference. We are separate. There is between us a wide gulf that we imperfectly bridge with communication.

Visual communications bridge the gulf in a deep, richer manner than verbalization. A picture is worth a thousand words. (I am just saying, really, I love words, love to read.) Even with pictures I am reducing my interpretations to a manageable level.

With art I attempt mind to mind communion. The communion is imperfect, reduced, but it is the best that I can do.


No comments: