Friday, January 13, 2012

John Belushi Bacchus


John Belushi Bacchus

I was lying in a hammock, under the grape arbor, when John Belushi appeared before my wondering eyes. Belushi announced that he, before his death, was the human incarnation of the GrecoRoman God Bacchus. In his inimitable humorous manner John explained that he had resided in human form on earth to liberate people from the oppressive restraints of the powerful. "I symbolize all that is dangerous and unexpected, that which escapes reason", he said. "I am the protector of those who do not belong to conventional society. I have supported liberation in many guises since prehistoric times. In the fifteenth century I incarnated as the painter, Carravagio. In that life, I was notorious for brawling, and I was criticized for using a beautiful, famous prostitute, Madelena Antoguetti, as a model for The Virgin Mary."

Belushi continued, "As Carravagio I painted a picture of Bacchus or Dionysus, would you, Janet, please repaint that picture for me using my Belushi face?" I protested that I was not competent to repaint his masterpiece. "I am sure to butcher your awesome painting, I am just not as talented as you were." John/Carravagio, agreed that since he was the greatest painter of all time, he did not expect me to attain his degree of perfection, but that he would settle for my poor efforts.

So here is my modest attempt to do as he requested. I sincerely apologize to Carravagio for this desecration, but how could I resist the charming request of John Belushi?

No comments: